Thursday, July 31, 2008

Just 9 more days...

It's sad, I have only nine more days before I set foot on Texas' soil.  A bittersweet realization:  I look forward to Tex-mex and knowable faces, but here I am leaving the hardest/best/most memorable summer of my life.  A wise man once said, "You truly have to be called to stay in the country you were born in."  I hope to one day return to Finland, and pick up where I left off:  Excited about ministry and helping win souls for Christ.  I will talk a little more about excitement in a different context later on, but first a recap...

-The week after getting back from camp we had our Monday Night Fellowship "Dodgeball Extravaganza."    Most people had never heard of dodgeball, so when I explained it, the men suddenly became attentive.  Most came for food and fun, but received so much more.  That night we had a total of nine teams each consisting of 4 players.  The "Dream Team"  took first place receiving a bronze ball as their trophy.  We had over 50 people there, It was amazing!
-The next monday night, July 21st, was Carnival night!  Over 60 people came with their families to join in on everything from face painting, carnival games, to the classic sackraces and egg toss.  We had so much fun that night!
-Then the Scavenger Hunt!  Nobody knew what that was either.  Around 8 teams of 5 competed against the clock to outwit their opponents.  It was a camera scavenger hunt (you have to complete as many objectives in a certain amount of time, proving your completion via camera) around Espoo.  With sweat in every corner, teams raced back to the youth center in hopes of victory!
-And this next monday night, The Texas hoe-down will be my favorite and last monday night of the summer.  By God's providence, I have a fellow Texan helping facilitate this fine night!  I look forward to writing about it in the coming days.  
-Interspersed between these mondays were Finnish lessons by my 11 year old teacher (she is great by the way),  correcting/revising a scholarly thesis on dairy building air-quality monitoring systems, working on my online class for DTS, evangelizing, a slew of other things I can't seem to recall, and who could forget the adventures of Shaun and Stew...

These past two weeks, I have worked on this project for a church in New England.  EICF is raising funds for a library, and a gracious church in America was willing to help us out.  So we were asked to put together some sort of fun picture show for the kids during their VBS.  So we titled the project, "The Adventures of Shaun and Stew:  In Search for the Lost Kirja"  It's about these two bumbling pastors/part-time explorers that happen to come across a map leading them to a lost Kirja (Finnish work for book).  What was so funny/sad about this project was that we had so much opposition in making it.  Nothing seemed to work:  our camcorder broke down, our camera stopped working, and everyone just seemed apathetic throughout the whole thing.  It was crazy!  Thankfully, we got it done and sent in the final project, we pray that it will help in funding our Library:  one of the only theological libraries in Finland!  Here are some layouts for you to see:



When it was all said and done, we really had alot of fun!

And one more thing.  Before I unveil this information, I would advise anyone who is faint of heart to not read this next portion (Grandmother, Mom, etc.).  I was invited to go Bungee Jumping this past week, and the offer was too tantalizing to pass up.  No words can justify the this thrill, so you can watch it for yourself:

No comments: