Monday, June 16, 2008

Before I forget, if you are planning on sending me a letter or some american food, you must put this above the address I sent you:
Stewart Kouba
c/o Savolainen
(Then the Address) 

Its been exactly two weeks since I arrived in Finland and God, to say the least, is stretching me. "...For my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9).  It's not about me, it's all about Him.  We are mere instruments and useless without Christ!   Am I being pushed?  Absolutely, but if I assume my strength changes lives, I am sadly mistaken.  

So I tried my apartment's sauna today.  For acquiring minds, the sauna is the trademark of Finland.  That and Santa Clause.  Just about every building in Finland houses a sauna and one has not "arrived" unless you hop in that heat tank and sweat away your worries.  Surprisingly, it was quite refreshing and an impeccable place to pray.  Right before my brain began to boil these words came to mind, "where much is given, much is required."  Yes, anxiety persists due to thoughts of failure (Devil's work), but again I am reminded, "it's not about me."  

 You are to blessed to be stressed, and too anointed to be disappointed. 
-Andrew Ginakis

Satan keeps on trying to ruin my work here in Finland, which means only one thing:  He's afraid.  Not of me, but of Christ's love.  God is doing amazing things in these northern streets, but prayer is essential.  And if you pray for Finland, please put emphasis on the young.  When you see kids as young as 9 years old smoking cigarettes you can only imagine what they are doing at 12 and 13.  This is the culture.  So please pray for these kids and our outreach efforts.  Hopefully we will see many lives changed this summer by the power of Jesus Christ!

Just a quick update.  These are some high points from the past two weeks:  Was invited to pray in the Finnish Parliament building (Which is basically equivalent to the Capital Building), went to my first charismatic meeting where prophetic words were spoken over me (I still don't know what to think about that), prayed over a demon-possessed woman, met one of the first immigrants to Finland, learning and speaking Finnish, and a slew of other events aimed at making a difference for Christ. 

By the way, if there is anything you want me to write about, please don't hesitate to ask.  Oh, I almost forgot.  The picture above is of me and a new found friend named Oscar (Jussi and Hanna's best work by far!)

5 comments:

Elaine said...

Stew! Keep on keeping on! You knew it was not going to be easy. I am praying for you!!!!!
Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. Love you, Mom Sent you an e-mail today also.

Elaine said...

Oh yes, let us remember to put on the full armor of God each morning! Ephesians 6:10-

emma christine said...

I'm so proud of you! I will definitely be checking on this more consistently in the future. I'm praying for you.

P.S. Great picture!

Cheryl said...

Hey Stew!!!

We just found out about your blog today by talking to your mom. She misses you like the rest of us. David and Shelby and James and I say hello!!! It is so exciting to see you doing the work you love for Christ. Tomorrow starts Camp WOW and my life as a counselor (oh dear I am a little afraid!!! :) I have 11 5th grade girls. David and Shelby are excited to go. Last week we stayed at Chris and Karen Anderson's house because Karen had gone to stay with Chris in Romania his last week there. The kids all had fun!!! Well we just wanted to say hello and I have bookmarked your blog so that I can check it everyday!! Remember we are praying for you and please e-mail us with specific prayer requests.

Love in Christ,
The Burnhams

Hanna said...

Hello Stew and the rest of you!

It was great to get this eager and energetic missionary to Finland! I'm proud to be his friend. But, I'm even more proud to be Oskar's mum ;)

Oskar is careful with strangers. This time at McDonald's he met Stew the second time. Oskar was in his father's arms when Stew came and smiled at him. Oskar then stretched his arms towards Stew and wanted to get in his tender hands. Amazing! The love Stew has for everybody is radiant and even our little chap noticed it right away.

So Stew is doing great here! His Finnish is close to perfect and the work he does for God's glory is huge.

Cannot wait to get Elaine and Wes here too!! What do you guys want to do once you get here??

Hugs and kisses!

Hanna